1. Pie Pride: Since the beginning of our marriage, I have been determined to become a good pie-maker. Under the apprenticeship of Mom St.Hilaire, I have slowly improved my skills over the last year. I made a pie for someone recently and they exclaimed, "You make the best crust!" I have to admit, it is pretty good. I made a cherry pie for my dad's birthday and it was so pretty! I kept looking at it, with disbelief that I actually made it! Now all I need is a little humility! ;)
2. Changing Every Day: John is crawling all over the house. Each day I see him doing new things. I've noticed that he is starting to climb and pull himself up... before I know it, he will be running everywhere! His latest love (aside from the drum sticks - which he continues to carry around every where) is the broom! He will find it and insist on grabbing it and pulling it down to the floor. I let him play with it under supervision - but I do have ulterior motives - maybe some day soon I'll be able to put him to work! =)
3. A Bed of His Own: Our bedtime routine is going a lot better! However, with John crawling, I feel a little nervous having him napping on our bed - in fear that he will fall off! So a couple of weeks ago, we took my old twin mattress and put it on the floor in our closet. I bought a mattress protector and sheets... now John has his own bed! I have him take most of his naps in his bed, but we still sleep together at night. We decided to move him right to a bed instead of a crib so that he will go through less transitions. When he is older, we will put the mattress on a box spring and frame. Then he will be set!
4. New Opportunities: A lot has been changing around here. Andrew was just hired to work as a marketer for our church, Our Lady Star of the Sea. He will still be working with my parents too, so he'll be working part time for both. It will work out to be more hours over all. So we are saying "good bye" to our family time on Saturdays because he will need that day to fulfill his hours. We will all be making some sacrifices to get through this busy time, but we definitely see God's will in this and know he will pour His blessings on us!
5. No pain, no gain: John had a rough night a few days back. Guess what I found the next day... a tooth! And as the day went on... I noticed another tooth! And then another! So John is working on cutting at least three teeth right now - poor guy! (Poor me!) ;)
6. Teaching: If I had stayed in my teaching program, I would be student teaching right now! It is amazing how each decision changes your life dramatically. Part of me wishes that I had finished, but then I think about not having all this time with John and I know I made the right decision. I am reading a book right now called Stay Home, Stay Happy. It is a great articulation of the struggles and blessings of at-home mothers. Despite any struggles, I feel divinely called to the work I am doing in the home - and that gives me a lot of peace.
7. On the Menu: ... Egg yolk! That is the latest food I have tried with John. Apparently egg yolk is really good for babies. Until a week ago, I was being really reluctant to commit to feeding John solids on a regular basis. It is messy and takes a lot of time. I have finally made the commitment though! I am up to two meals per day now. I am working on planning meals out for John so that he has a balanced diet. This makes me realize how I should be doing more of that for Andrew and me too so we are all healthy! A great resource is the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. I have learned SO much from that book - and not just about baby food!
Hope you are all doing well!
Hi Lindsey! I need to get that book. I love staying home and I definitely think it is a divine calling. There is no greater or more rewarding job, but it is challenging and can be hard on a mother. I miss working full time, but I don't think I will ever go back until my kiddos are in school. I have decided to sub teach once or twice a week while my hubby is home to take care of the kids. We will see how it goes. I sure love being a stay at home mom though!!!ReplyDelete
Great news that Andrew is the new marketing director at Star!!! Ah yes, baby food messes - one day you will look back upon it with fondness - no really!ReplyDelete
If the pie crust recipe is up for sharing, I would love to have a copy ...